On April 25, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi outlined Iran’s demands and reservations about the U.S. position, while Islamabad provided a platform for renewed efforts to end a war that has claimed thousands of lives and caused turmoil in global markets.
Source source: straitstimes.com
Although the details of the talks were scant, Mr. Aragchi met with Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and other senior officials.
Earlier, the White House announced that US President Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Whitkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner would travel to the Pakistani capital on April 25, but Iran has so far ruled out a new round of direct talks.
Washington and Tehran have reached a deadlock as Iran has almost completely blocked the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world’s oil supplies normally pass, while the US blocks Iranian oil exports.
Iran lays out its «principle»
The conflict enters its ninth week, and the cease-fire that began on June 24 was extended this week by Mr. Trump. The war has pushed energy prices to multi-year highs, stoking inflation and clouding global growth prospects.
Mr. Aragchi «Explained the principled positions of our country regarding the latest developments related to the ceasefire and the full end of the imposed war against Iran», – said in a statement published in the official Telegram channel of the Minister.
Asked about Tehran’s reservations about U.S. negotiating positions, an Iranian diplomatic source in Islamabad told Reuters: «Iran will not accept maximalist demands.».
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters earlier that Iran has a chance to conclude a deal. «bargain» United States.
«Iran knows it still has an open window of opportunity to make wise choices.». — He said. «All that is required of him, — Abandon nuclear weapons in a meaningful and verifiable manner».
Mr. Aragchi arrived in the capital, Islamabad, on April 24. But a spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry posted on social platform X that Iranian officials had no plans to meet with U.S. officials and that Tehran's concerns would be passed on to the mediator country Pakistan.
Mr. Trump told Reuters on April 24 that Iran planned to make a proposal aimed at meeting U.S. demands, but he did not know what the proposal was. He declined to say with whom Washington is negotiating, but said: «We are dealing with people who are now in power.».
White House spokeswoman Caroline Levitt said the U.S. has seen some progress from Iran in recent days and hopes for more over the coming weekend. Vance is also ready to go to Pakistan.
According to Iranian media, a few days after Mr. Trump extended the ceasefire, international flights resumed on April 25 from Tehran’s Imam Khomeini International Airport.
The first passengers flew to Medina (Saudi Arabia), Muscat and Istanbul, and flights are expected to be more intensive in the coming days.
«It feels good. When flights resume, there is trade and people can work. It feels good.». — said one of the passengers at the airport, where people lined up at check-in counters.
Iranian airspace has been almost completely closed since the war began. Tens of thousands of flights around the world have been cancelled, diverted or rescheduled, and much of the Middle East’s airspace has been shut down due to missile and drone threats.
A ceasefire is in place, with only a few ships crossing the strait.
Mr. Trump unilaterally extended the two-week truce on April 21 to allow more time for negotiators to reconvene.
Oil prices rose sharply this week as Brent crude futures jumped 16 percent amid uncertainty over the outcome of peace talks and flare-ups of violence in the region.
Shipping data from April 24 showed five ships had passed through the Strait of Hormuz in the previous 24 hours, up from about 130 a day before the war unleashed by the US and Israel on February 28. These included an Iranian oil product tanker, but none of the huge crude oil supertankers that normally power global energy markets.
Vortexa this week reported that it recorded a total of 35 passes through the U.S. blockade between April 13 and 22, including vessels linked to Iran or under sanctions, both on entry and exit.
«The enemy, whose goal was to undermine Iran’s missile and military capabilities, has failed and is now seeking an honorable way out of the quagmire of war.». — Iranian media quoted a representative of the Ministry of Defense. «Today, Iran firmly controls the Strait of Hormuz.».
Iran's state television quoted the country's top military command as saying again that Iran would react if US forces continued their efforts. «blockade and piracy» in the region.
On April 23, Israel and Lebanon extended the ceasefire for three weeks at a meeting at the White House brokered by Mr. Trump, but there are no signs of a cessation of fighting in southern Lebanon.
Israel invaded its northern neighbor in March to root out Iran's allies «Hezbollah» After this paramilitary group opened fire across the border. Tehran says a ceasefire there is a precondition for talks.
Four people were killed in Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon on April 25, the Lebanese state news agency reported, after the Israeli military said it killed six armed members in the south on April 24. «Hezbollah».
On April 25, the Israeli military again warned Lebanese residents not to approach the Litani River region of southern Lebanon, as they are still fighting with the Israeli military. «Hezbollah»They said they had struck three positions overnight that contained loaded rocket launchers belonging to the militant group.
